Credits:

DesignedbyLara.com

Friday, April 17, 2009

Rodney Morgan 1973 - 2009

On Wednesday morning on my way into work I learned about Rodney Morgan. I didn’t know all the details then but I was told that he had passed away. From what I am told Rodney suffered from a massive heart attack. So young to die, so young to have lived his life.

I first met Rodney in the 5th grade and we weren’t too crazy about each other until the next year in 6th grade but soon after that we developed a friendship that I would cherish for the rest of my life. During the 80’s “Hair metal” was the big thing and that is what drew me into hanging out with Rodney. It was about music and playing video games. Within a few years it was about chasing girls and fast cars. What every teenage boy dreams of, right? We spent much of our school years together but just like everyone else real life soon took over, we became husbands and fathers and we lost touch over years. I so regret that now. I wish I would have thought of him more. I wish I would have made time to find him. Through a turn of events I was able to speak with him right before Christmas. We talked for about 20 minutes just catching up on old times, having some good laughs, and realizing that life can be really, really tough sometimes.

After learning about his death my mind began to race thinking of him. I was thinking of all the fun and trouble that we used to get in to. I thought of the fights that we would get into when we spent weeks and weeks around each other. I remember how he and I accidentally set the back interior of my red 1988 Honda Accord on fire while shooting fireworks. I spent weeks and a lot of money trying to hide that from my mother, by the way. I remembered the countless hours I spent listening to him play the guitar and trying to put some great hair metal songs together for us to “jam” to. I don’t think I could pick one thing that I will miss the most about him. I guess it’s knowing that a good friendship had ended and I will never be able to sit and discuss these memories with him. Now I can only share them with others.

What do memories remind us of? Hopefully it will remind us that we have a limited time on this earth. That one day death will come for us too. In one way or another, whether it is a youthful parting or a passing as an elderly person we will all face the cruel reality of our own deaths. What do you think the other side holds? What will happen to you when you die?

In John 14:3 Jesus said these words, “If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am you may be also.” What did He mean by that? Where is the Lord that we could be with Him? Jesus is in Heaven and he wants all to be there with Him, but this promise from the Lord is not universal. What I mean is – this promise does not apply to you personally just because you are living and breathing today. This promise is only given to those who are his disciples. Is that you? If not, I hope your question is “How can I become a disciple of Jesus?” Let me see if I can explain…

First I must give you the bad news so hang on, there is good to come. In the Bible God reminds us that we have violated His law and because we have broken this law all of humanity will face death one day, this means you and me both.

So, what is this Law? The Ten Commandments. The Bible tells us not to lie, steal, blaspheme God’s name, or to look with lust (which is adultery of the heart) and if we have done these things God must judge our sin because He is perfect and holy. But God is also good, kind, and is full of mercy and loving-kindness in that He sent Jesus Christ to be a sacrifice for sinners like me and you. Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man.

He never broke the 10 Commandments, not even once. Even though he lived a perfect life He voluntarily went to the cross and suffered the punishment that you and I deserve. Three days later He arose from the grave defeating death forever! The Bible says if you will forsake your sins and put your faith and trust in Christ alone that God will forgive you of your sins. Not only do you and I need forgiveness from God, but we need atonement. That is someone to take our place. This is what Jesus did. He paid the ultimate price that you and I could never do.

We are all familiar with John 3:16 but please take just an extra moment to read these words of Jesus just a few verses later...

16"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
17"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
18"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
20"For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
21"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

I will miss Rodney for the rest of my days. I will keep his memories close to my heart and cherish the times I was able to call him my friend. I sincerely hope that our memories of Rodney will remind us that one day we too will draw our last breath and leave behind memories to our loved ones. Make everyday count, love others and serve God. Life is short and eternity is forever. God bless…
Ty

No comments: