Credits:

DesignedbyLara.com

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Limited Atonement - Reformed Theology

Over the past few weeks I have been reading "What Is Reformed Theology" by RC Sproul. This book has answered many of my questions. Besides the doctrine of election many people question Limited Atonement vs. Unlimited Atonement so I thought I would post a quote from this book that I found extremely helpful.

"Let me consider the benefit of Christ’s atonement for me. I am presently a believer in Christ. Today I enjoy the benefit of an atonement made for me centuries ago. Did that atonement satisfy the demands of God’s justice on all of my sins? If it did, then it satisfied the penalty for the sin of my previous unbelief. Was that sin paid for before I believed? Or was Christ’s atonement not complete until I came to faith? Did his death cover my unbelief or not? If it did, why then does his atonement not cover the unbelief of unbelievers? It covers my former unbelief but not the present unbelief of unbelievers. Advocates of unlimited atonement say that sin of unbelief is not covered unless the condition of faith is met. My faith then makes Christ’s atonement efficacious for me.

If faith is necessary to the atonement, then Christ’s work was indeed a mere potentiality. In itself it saves no one. It merely makes salvation possible. Theoretically we must ask the obvious question, What would have happened to the work of Christ if nobody believed in it? That had to be a theoretical possibility. In this case Christ would have died in vain. He would have been a potential Savior of all but an actual Savior on none. "

So far this is a great book. I would highly recommend it!
Ty

No comments: